This is not my invention. Cucumber is often prepared this way in Japan, but it is rarely presented as it is like a snake. Usually it is cut into bite size pieces before serve. But for children, this would be a great fun!
Score one side of a Cucumber diagonally, turn it over and score the other side as well. Soak it in a pickling marinade or a salad dressing. Then you can decorate one end of the cucumber into a face! I used Black Peppercorns for eyes and a slice of Carrot for tongue.
2 to 4 Servings
1 Thin & Long Cucumber *I used 1 Continental Cucumber.
Marinade or Salad Dressing of your choice
- Trim the ends of the Cucumber if you wish to do so. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly peel one side as straight as possible, then peel the opposite side as well. They will be the markings when score, and also help to stabilise the cucumber.
- Diagonally score one side. Basically you make many 1-2mm cuts. The cuts shouldn’t be too deep. Try to cut slightly more than half of the thickness of the cucumber.
- Turn over, and score the other side.
- Now the Cucumber can be bent.
- Carefully place in a bowl or container, pour over the marinade or salad dressing of your choice. This time, I made a marinade by mixing 1/2 teaspoon Salt, 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar, 2 tablespoons Sugar and 2 tablespoons Water.
- After 30 minutes, it is ready for decorating. OR simply cut into bite size pieces and enjoy.