These Dumplings are really easy to make, and I add them to Rice Soup, Miso Soup, soy sauce flavoured Clear Soup and Nabe (Hot Pot) dishes. Because my children love them so much, I think I should write down the recipe, so that they can one day make them by themselves. Today I added the Dumplings to a Clear Soup, but you can add them to any soup you want to.
4 cups Dashi Stock *OR 4 cups Water and 2 teaspoons Dashi Powder
Vegetables of your choice
*Today I used 5cm Daikon, 1/2 Carrot, 2 Shiitake Mushrooms and 2 ‘Satoimo’ (small Taros)
*Other Suggestions: Potato, other Asian Mushrooms, Spinach, Gobō, Green Beans, Tofu, etc.
1 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1/2 cup Plain Flour
1/2 cup Glutinous Rice Flour
1 pinch Salt
- Heat Dashi Stock (OR Water & Dashi Powder) in a large saucepan or pot, add Vegetables and cook them in the stock until soft.
- *Note: Any Vegetables that can be cooked quickly, such as ‘Satoimo’ (small Taros) or Spinach, need to be added to the stock accordingly.
- Season the soup with Salt and Soy Sauce.
- Mix all the Dumpling ingredients and make it into thick paste. You would need about 1/2 cup Water, and possibly extra 1-2 teaspoons. Using a dinner spoon, drop bite-size dumplings into the boiling soup.
- When the Dumplings are softly cooked, add finely chopped Spring Onion and serve.
Leave a Reply