This dish should be slow cooked for several hours, but I want to save the power expense. The quickest cooking method is the pressure cooker method. The cooking takes 1 hour including 30 minutes of pressure-cooking time. If you don’t haver a pressure cooker, just simmer gently for several hours until brisket is tender.
1kg Beef Brisket
Salt & Pepper
1 tablespoon Oil
1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
1 Onion *finely sliced or chopped
1-2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
1 cup Red Wine
1-2 cups Beef Stock
1 tablespoon Thyme Leaves
1 Bay Leaf
1 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- Trim the unwanted fat on the Brisket, cut into 5-6cm OR larger pieces. Lightly season with Salt.
- Heat Oil in the pressure cooker pot over the medium high heat, cook beef until brown all over, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat and add Butter, cook Onion and Garlic until onions are getting soft.
- Return the browned beef, add Red Wine and cover the beef with Beef stock. You will need 1 to 2 cups of stock. Increase the heat and bring to the boil.
- Remove the scum, add Thyme and Bay Leaf, then cover with the lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes under pressure. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, just simmer gently for several hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove the lid, add Mushrooms and Tomato Paste. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickened. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste. Serve with vegetables and mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes, couscous, polenta or nice crusty bread.
Leave a Reply