On the other day, I was requested to bake Gluten Free Cake. I often use Almond Meal for this purpose, but I didn’t have it. I don’t buy Gluten Free Flour Mix. So I used the most commonly available Rice Flour and baked my ‘Basic Pound Cake’ simply replacing Wheat Flour with Rice Flour, but I was not happy with the result. So I altered the recipe. Here is a new recipe ‘Rice Flour Pound Cake’.
Standard Loaf Tin
125g Butter *softened at room temperature
125g (1/2 cup) Caster Sugar
3 Eggs *about 125g, must be at room temperature
Flavour *e.g. 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract OR 1 tablespoon Rum
125g (1 cup) Rice Flour *finely ground type
2 tablespoons Tapioca Starch OR Potato Starch
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Combine Rice Flour, Tapioca Starch (OR Potato Starch), Baking Powder and Salt.
- Beat the softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer until smooth. Add Sugar and Vanilla Extract (OR Rum), and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the Eggs are not warm enough, the mixture will curdle. If that happens, try to stand the bowl in warm water, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, then continue beating until the batter becomes smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold in flour mixture with a spatula or large metal spoon until just combined. DO NOT over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Stand the cake in the tin for 5 minutes as it is very soft, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.