‘Kakiage’ is a type of Tempura. This dish is originally a savoury Tempura dish that I cook with thinly sliced Japanese Sweet Potato and Carrot. I sometimes add Onion as well. Savoury Tempura is served with ‘Tentsuyu’ (Tempura Dipping Sauce). However, you can make it into a sweet snack. Add some Sugar to the batter, and cook it in the same way. It can be enjoyed with Honey OR Cinnamon Sugar.
1 medium Sweet Potato *about 250g, I used Japanese Sweet Potato
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
Oil for frying
1/2 Onion *if you cook this dish as a savoury Tempura
Honey & Cinnamon Sugar
1/2 cup Plain Flour
1 pinch Salt
2 tablespoons Cold Water OR Milk
*Note: If you cook this dish as a sweet snack, add 1-2 tablespoons Sugar. Do not add too much Sugar as it will turn brown too soon before it is cooked.
- Wash Sweet Potato, slice it 2-3mm thin, and place the slices straight into water in a bowl. Cut each slice into 2-3mm strips and place back in the water. Rinse and drain well, place in a mixing bowl.
- Cut Carrot into same size strips and add to the bowl. Sprinkle with Flour and coat them well. Combine the Batter ingredients, add to the bowl, and mix well.
- Slide large tablespoon sized clumps of the mixture into the 170°C to 180°C Oil and deep-fry until cooked and nicely browned. Turn them over a few times.
- When cooked, place them on a rack and drain the oil.
- Enjoy as a savoury Tempura with ‘Tentsuyu’ (Tempura Dipping Sauce), OR as a sweet snack with Honey OR Cinnamon Sugar.
Leave a Reply