These Doughnuts are made with Silken Tofu. You need No Egg and No Dairy products. Silken Tofu is basically thickened Soy Milk. It makes soft and moist Doughnuts. If you use Gluten-free Flour such as Rice Flour, the Doughnuts can be Gluten-free, too. This recipe might be good for people who suffer food allergies.
150g Silken Tofu
3 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 tablespoon Oil *I used Canola Oil
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract *optional
1 cup Self-Raising Flour *about 150g
*Note: If you use a different type Flour, you might need to add Baking Powder.
Oil for frying
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar for coating *I mixed it with 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Place Silken Tofu in a mixing bowl and use a whisk to make it into smooth paste. Add Sugar, Salt, Oil and Vanilla, and mix well until blended well.
- Add Flour and mix well. If the dough is too soft, you can add extra Flour, but do not add too much. The dough is supposed to be soft and sticky. Allow to rest while you are preparing the Oil for frying.
- Heat Oil about depth of 5cm in a large saucepan and heat to about 160°C. As the dough is very sticky, wet your hands with Oil and form 2-3cm balls and carefully drop them into the oil. Slowly deep-fry doughnuts until puffed and nicely browned all over. It takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the doughnuts to a tray lined with paper towel or a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Combine Caster Sugar and Ground Cinnamon in a bowl, roll the Doughnuts and coat them with Cinnamon Sugar. You might prefer dusting with Icing Sugar.