When you feel like something refreshing but spicy, try this salad. Chicken can be replaced with fish, prawns, squid, tofu, etc. Add plenty of salad vegetables, because with this spicy sauce, you will want to eat more vegetables.
300g Chicken Breast Fillet(s)
1 small piece Ginger *grated
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 to 3 Spring Onions *lighter coloured parts are finely chopped, and use dark green parts for cooking Chicken
Salad Vegetables *e.g. Cucumber, Lettuce, Daikon Radish, Carrot, etc.
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
2 to 3 teaspoons Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce)
Saved grated Ginger
Finely chopped lighter coloured parts of Spring Onions
1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
2 tablespoons Liquid from cooked Chicken
- Tear Chicken Breast Fillet into 2 to 3 pieces so that it will cook quickly. Place Chicken, 1 teaspoon Grated Ginger (save the rest for sauce), the dark green parts of Spring Onions in a small saucepan, add Water just enough to cover chicken. Add Sake and Salt.
- Cook over the medium heat. When cooked (it shouldn’t take long), let it cool in the liquid. When cool enough to handle, tear into strips.
- *Note: This process can be done using microwave without adding Water. Combine Ingredients in a heat-proof bowl, cover with a plate, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, turning over halfway through.
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Slice all salad vegetables into similar size strips and mix. Place in a large serving bowl, and top with the chicken strips.
- Drizzle the sauce over and serve immediately.