This is not my invention. Cucumber is often prepared this way in Japan, but it is rarely presented as it is like a snake. Usually it is cut into bite size pieces before serve. But for children, this would be fun!
Score one side of a cucumber diagonally, turn it over and score the other side as well. Soak it in a pickling marinade or a dressing. Then you can decorate one end of the cucumber into a face! I used Black Peppercorns for eyes and a slice of Carrot for tongue.
2 to 4 Servings
1 Thin & Long Cucumber *I used 1 Continental Cucumber.
Marinade or Dressing of your choice
- Trim the ends of the Cucumber. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly peel one side as straight as possible, then peel the opposite side as well. They will be markings when score, and also help to stabilise the cucumber.
- Diagonally score one side. Basically you make many 1-2mm cuts. The cuts shouldn’t be too deep. Try cut slightly more than half of the thickness of the cucumber.
- Turn over, and score the other side.
- Carefully place in a bowl or container, pour over the marinade or dressing of your choice. This time, I made a marinade by mixing 1/2 teaspoon Salt, 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar, 2 tablespoons Sugar and 2 tablespoons Water. I also added a dried Chilli.
- After 30 minutes, it is ready for decorating. OR simply cut into bite size pieces and enjoy.