When my husband is sick with a cold, he wants Chicken Soup. My children want something sweet such as Creme Caramel and Fruit Jelly. I am Japanese, and what I want when I am sick is definitely ‘Okayu’. It’s Japanese style Rice Porridge. It’s easy to digest, gentle to sore throat and weakened stomach, and very comforting. I am now writing down how I cook it, so that my husband and children can make if for me when I am sick.
1 cup Cooked Japanese Short Grain Rice *firmly packed
1 & 1/2 cups Water *DO NOT add anything else!
Salt to taste
- Place Cooked Rice and Water in a saucepan, bring to the boil over medium high heat. Break down any lumps.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Add 1 pinch Salt and stir.
Uncooked Rice Method
- Cook Japanese Short Grain Rice with Water in the ratio of 1:6. For example, cook 100ml Rice with 600ml Water.
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water a couple of times. Drain the rice, place into the rice cooker’s inner pot and add Water. Press Cook/Start button to cook.
- If you cook in a pot or saucepan, you need to be careful because it is easy to boil over. Once it is boiling, reduce heat to low, stir well, then cover with a lid but do not close completely. Cook for 40 minutes or until rice is soft.
Leave a Reply