I recently went to a Korean restaurant with my family and my husband and children enjoyed a steamed egg dish as well as BBQ. The steamed egg dish was similar to Japanese ‘Chawanmushi’ (Savoury Custard Soup) but texture was firmer. Surprisingly there was nothing in it and it was just steamed savoury custard.
My family love ‘Chawanmushi’ but I don’t cook it very often. Why? I really don’t know, but maybe because it is quite time consuming to cook and I used to think it’s a special occasion dish. But not anymore, since I created this copy of the steamed egg dish. This is a really quick and easy dish.
Dashi stock is used for ‘Chawanmushi’, but I use instant stock made with Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder for this dish. You can use whatever stock you like. Using a lot less stock (liquid) than ‘Chawanmushi’ makes this dish much easier to cook. No difficult technics necessary.
This recipe is egg only simple recipe, but you can add something and create your savoury custard more special. *Suggested ingredients are listed below.
Stock 200ml *100ml per egg
Salt & White Pepper
Spring Onion 1 *finely chopped
- Good quality real stock is perfect. If you make instant chicken stock, place 200ml hot water in a bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon Bouillon Powder or Stock Cube, then season it with Salt, White Pepper and Soy Sauce as required. Cool slightly.
- *Note: You may wish to season the stock with just Salt & Pepper or with herbs & spices of your choice.
- Place Eggs in a large bowl, whisk lightly. Then add the stock gradually, whisking constantly, and mix very well. Don’t worry about the bubbles.
- Pour the egg mixture into a 300ml size bowl, OR 2 small bowls, cups, ramekins or whatever you use if individually served.
- Cook in hot steamer or microwave at a lower setting around 500W. You can cook using a pot if you don’t have a steamer.
- Pot method is simple. Fill a pot with 2cm of water, place a small plate on the bottom, then heat. When the water starts steaming, carefully place the bowl on the plate, pour the egg mixture in the bowl, cover the pot and cook until the mixture is set. It will take around 10 minutes. Taking the bowl out safely might be tricky and you need to be very careful.
- Sprinkle plenty of chopped Spring Onion over and serve hot.
Suggested Ingredients To Add
Broccoli, Asparagus, Spinach, Carrot *blanched in salted water
Okra, Tomato, Cherry Tomatoes, Capsicum, Zucchini
Enoki, Shimeji, Shiitake, Mushrooms
Tofu, Edamame, Ham, Chicken, Sausage, Bacon, Roast Pork
Prawns, Fish, Fish Balls, ‘Naruto’