In Melbourne, a large variety of Tofu are now available as all major supermarket chains are selling their own brand Tofu products. This lunch (OR dinner) plate is perfect for everyone, especially on meat-free Mondays. Teriyaki Tofu & King Oyster Mushroom, Egg and Veggies are on freshly cooked rice. Such a delicious, filling and nutritious meal is not hard to prepare.
200 to 250g Firm Tofu *thickly sliced
1 to 2 King Oyster Mushrooms *sliced
2 handfuls Baby Spinach
1/2 cup Edamame (Young Soy Beans) *removed from pods
Oil for cooking
Toasted Sesame Seeds
2 servings Freshly Cooked Rice
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Mirin
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice wine) OR Water
*Note: You can add 1 teaspoon Grated Ginger, Garlic or Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce) to the sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients.
- Cook Eggs as you like. ‘Sunny Side Up’ or ‘Scrambled’ is quick and easy. After the eggs are cooked, use the hot frying pan to cook Spinach, then season with Salt & Pepper .
- *Note: Use any vegetables you like for this dish. You may wish to cook sliced Carrot instead of Spinach.
- Heat 1 tablespoon Oil in a frying pan, cook thickly sliced Tofu. You can cook King Oyster Mushrooms next to the Tofu as well. When they are golden, add the sauce, and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Place Freshly Cooked Rice on a plate, then arrange Tofu, King Oyster Mushrooms, Egg, Spinach (OR vegetables of your choice) and Edamame. Sprinkle some Toasted Sesame Seeds over the Tofu, drizzle some Soy Sauce over the egg if you like, and enjoy!