I love ‘Asian Mushroom Takikomigohan’, that is Rice and Mushrooms cooked together. To cook them together, there is a limit on how much mushrooms I can add. If I cook Mushrooms separately, I can add as much as I want. Here is a lovely Garlic flavoured Mushroom Mazegohan, that is Rice and Mushrooms cooked separately.
2 cups (*180ml Cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
400ml Chicken Stock *OR Stock of your choice
1/4 teaspoon Salt *add more or less according to the saltiness of the stock
2 tablespoons Oil OR Butter
2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
400g Asian Mushrooms *Today I used Shiitake, Shimeji and King Oyster
1 to 2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
Salt & Pepper
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
Spring Onion OR Parsley *finely chopped
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water with your hand and drain the water. Repeat this a few more times until water flows through clear.
- Drain the Rice and place it into the rice cooker’s inner pot. Add Chicken Stock (OR Stock of your choice) and Salt, and press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- While the Rice is cooking, prepare Mushrooms. Clean them, and cut into bite-size pieces. If you use Shimeji, cut off the bottom and tear into smaller pieces.
- When the rice is cooked, heat Oil (OR Butter) and Garlic in a large frying pan over low heat. When aromatic, raise the heat to medium high, and cook Mushrooms. *Note: Some Mushrooms can be cooked very quickly. Please cook them accordingly.
- When almost cooked, add Sake (Rice wine) that will help steam-cook the Mushrooms and add extra Umami. Season with Salt & Pepper, add Soy Sauce, and remove from the heat. Then add to the cooked Rice and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle with chopped Spring Onion (OR Parsley) and serve.