If you are a beginner cook and looking for a cupcake recipe, this is the most basic and easy-to-remember recipe. Once you have succeeded in baking these plain ones, you will wish to create new flavours by adding extra ingredients such as Cocoa Powder, Sultanas, Cinnamon & Apple, etc.
Butter 125g *softened
Caster Sugar 1/2 cup
Self-Raising Flour 1 & 1/2 cups
Milk 1/2 cup
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 12-hole medium-size muffin tin with paper cases.
- Beat softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the Eggs are too cold, the mixture will curdle. Try to stand the bowl in warm water, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, then continue beating until the batter becomes smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold in Flour with a spatula or a large metal spoon, add Milk and Vanilla as well, and mix until just combined. DO NOT over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Leave in tins for 5 minutes before moving onto wire rack to cool.