This is my children’s favourite Mazegohan dish. Beef can be replaced by Pork or Chicken, but we like Beef the best. I often mix in some crunchy Edamame beans which are available frozen from many Supermarkets and most Asian grocery stores, and I highly recommend this addition.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
1 tablespoon Oil
500g lean Beef Steak *thinly sliced
1 small piece Ginger *cut into fine strips
4 to 5 Shiitake Mushrooms
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1 tablespoon Sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin
1/4 to 1/3 cup Edamame Beans *optional
- Wash Rice and cook as normal.
- Slice Beef Steak very thinly. Cut the Ginger into fine strips. Slice Carrot and Shiitake also into strips.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan and cook Beef, Ginger and Carrot. Then add Shiitake.
- Add Sugar, Soy Sauce and Mirin, and cook until the sauce thickens. When the sauce is almost gone, remove from heat and mix with cooked Rice and Edamame Beans.
- Sprinkle some chopped Spring Onion and serve.