This is my children’s favourite Mazegohan dish. Beef can be replaced by Pork or Chicken, but for this dish we we like Beef the best. I often mix in some crunchy Edamame beans which are available frozen from many Asian grocery stores and I highly recommend this addition.
Japanese Short Grain Rice 2 cups (*180ml cups)
Beef 500g *Lean beef steak thinly sliced
Ginger 1 small piece *Thinly sliced into strips
Shiitake 4 to 5
Spring Onion 2
Oil 1 tablespoon
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Soy Sauce 3-4 tablespoons
Mirin 2 tablespoons
Edamame *beans removed from pods
- Wash Rice then cook as normal.
- Slice Beef steak very thinly. Cut the Ginger into fine strips. Slice Carrot and Shiitake also into strips.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and brown the Beef slices with Ginger and Carrot. Then add Shiitake.
- Add Sugar, Soy Sauce and Mirin, and cook until the sauce thickens. When the sauce is almost gone, remove from heat and mix with cooked rice.
- Sprinkle some chopped Spring Onion and Edamame on top and serve.