To make Black Sesame desserts, that are very popular in Japan, I used to use Black Sesame Paste called ‘Neri-goma’ which texture is similar to Tahini. However, here in Melbourne where I live, I can’t find it. I have to grind Toasted Black Sesame Seeds using a ‘Suribachi’, the Japanese mortar, that works better than electric grinder. *Note: The colour of the cupcakes was lighter that it looks in the above photo.
125g Butter *softened
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1/4 cup Muscovado OR Brown Sugar *OR Caster Sugar
2 Eggs *at room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 to 2 teaspoons Rum
4 tablespoons Toasted Black Sesame Seeds *finely ground
1 & 1/2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Milk
Black Sesame Cream
2 tablespoons Toasted Black Sesame Seeds *ground into paste
1 to 2 teaspoons Rum
4 tablespoons Sweet Chestnut Paste *OR ‘Koshi-an’ (Smooth Sweet Azuki Paste)
1/2 cup Thickened Cream *whipped
- Finely grind 4 & 2 tablespoons Toasted Black Sesame Seeds. The finer you grind, the blacker the cupcakes would be. Use 2/3 for the batter and 1/3 for the cream. *Note: If you use a small mortar or ‘Suribachi’ (Japanese Mortar), you may wish to grind separately.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃. Line a 12-hole medium-size muffin tin with paper cases.
- Beat softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Caster Sugar and Muscovado (OR Brown Sugar), and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until the batter becomes smooth and creamy. Add finely ground Black Sesame Seeds and Vanilla, and mix well.
- Sift in Flour, add Milk as well, and mix using a spatula or a large metal spoon until just combined. DO NOT over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make ‘Black Sesame Cream’, you need to grind the Toasted Black Sesame Seeds into paste. I used a ‘Suribachi’ (Japanese Mortar).
- As you grind the Sesame Seeds, oil starts to come out and the ground Sesame Seeds become moist. Add a little bit of Sweet Chestnut Paste, and grind further as smooth as you can.
- Then mix with Rum and Sweet Chestnut Paste OR ‘Koshi-an’ (Smooth Sweet Azuki Paste).
- Whip Cream until soft peaks form, add the Black Sesame mixture to the whipped Cream, and combine well. Decorate the cooled cupcakes with the Cream.