‘Brownies’ is such a popular treat and there are hundreds of recipes out there. I am confident that my recipe is one of the easiest ones as you don’t need to weigh ingredients. And you don’t need to add a scary amount of Sugar. I actually tried to reduce Sugar further, but I concluded that a fair amount of Sugar is necessary for the Brownies.
34cm x 20cm Brownie Tin OR similar size Square Cake Tin
1 packet (180 to 200g) Dark Chocolate *chopped into small pieces
125g (OR 1/2 of a block) Regular Salted Butter
1 pinch extra Salt
1/2 cup Brown Sugar *firmly packed
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Instant Coffee Powder
3 large Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract OR/AND 1 tablespoon Rum
1/3 cup Plain Flour
2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1/4 teaspoon Bi-carb Soda
- Preheat the oven to 160℃. Line the bottom and sides of a brownie tin or a square cake thin with baking paper.
- Place 1/2 of chopped Dark Chocolate and Butter in a large heat-proof mixing bowl, and microwave until melted. *Note: You can do this process using a saucepan.
- Add Salt, Brown Sugar, Caster Sugar and Instant Coffee Powder to the chocolate mixture, and mix well. Add Eggs, Vanilla and Rum, and mix well. Sift in Flour, Cocoa Powder and Bi-carb Soda, and mix well. Add the saved 1/2 of chopped Dark Chocolate and combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes OR until cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the tin. When cooled, take out and cut into squares.