This is a very popular salad in Japan. It is a quick & easy dish, that is delicious and nutritious. I believe every household has its own recipe for the Sesame Dressing. Some people make it quite sweet. This is my family’s recipe. Please alter the amount of Sugar to suit your taste.
250g Chicken Tenderloins OR 1 Chicken Breast Fillet
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
1 large Continental Cucumber *about 250g
1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds *lightly ground
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
1/2 tablespoon Sugar
1/2 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1/4 teaspoon Chilli Flakes *optional
*Note: You can add a little bit of grated Garlic or Ginger as well.
- If you use Chicken Breast Fillet, tear it into 2 to 3 pieces so that they will cook quickly. Place the Chicken pieces in a heat-proof bowl, sprinkle 1 pinch of Salt and Sake, cover the bowl with a small plate and cook in the microwave at about 600W for 2 minutes. Turn over and cook 1 more minute, then allow to cool before handling.
- *Note: Chicken pieces can be cooked in the boiling salted water in a saucepan, OR cooked in a frying pan with Sesame Oil and Salt.
- Cut Cucumber in half or quarters lengthways and slice diagonally. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon Salt and mix to combine, then set aside.
- When the Chicken pieces are cool enough to touch, tear them into smaller pieces.
- Make Dressing by mixing all ingredients. Add the Dressing and Chicken pieces to Cucumber, and combine well.