Just two ingredients and a little bit extra effort make this amazing dish. When you find thick & plump fresh Shiitake (mushrooms), please try it! Chicken can be thigh, breast or tenderloin, but Chicken and Shiitake need to be cut to similar sizes so that they will be cooked evenly.
Same as ‘Yakitori’, if you cook using BBQ, bamboo skewers need to be protected as they burn easily. I recommend to soak the skewers very well first. You can, of course, cook them using a frying pan.
Chicken Fillets 500 to 600g
Shiitake 100 to 150g
Salt & Pepper
Oil for cooking
White/Brown Sugar 2 tablespoons
Soy Sauce 4 tablespoons
Water 4 tablespoons
Rice Vinegar 1 teaspoon
Corn Starch OR Potato Starch 2 teaspoons
- Soak skewers in a shallow dish of cold water for at least half an hour, then drain.
- Cut Shiitake into quarters and cut Chicken Fillets into similar size pieces. Thread Chicken and Shiitake onto skewers.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring, until the sauce thickens.
- Heat a barbecue plate or a frying pan. Season the skewers with Salt and Pepper lightly, and cook the skewers until cooked through.
- Brush or spoon the sauce over each skewer and serve.