This ‘Chicken & Shimeji Takikomigohan’ is a very simple rice dish yet so tasty as it is seasoned with the oyster sauce. Shimeji can be replaced with Shiitake, Oyster Mushrooms, Maitake or other Asian mushrooms OR you can add multiple types of them.
4 to 6 Servings
Japanese Short Grain Rice 3 cups (*180ml cups)
Chicken Thigh Fillets 250 to 300g
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Sake 1 tablespoon
Oyster Sauce 3 tablespoons
Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon
Sesame Oil 1 teaspoon
Water (OR Dashi Stock) to make the soup 600ml
Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Cut Chicken into small pieces, add Salt and Sake and massage. Set aside for ten minutes.
- Make the soup by mixing Oyster Sauce, Soy Sauce and Water to make it 600ml. You can use Dashi Stock instead of Water for more umami.
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water with your hand and drain the water. Repeat this a few more times until water flows through clear.
- Drain the rice and put it into the rice cooker’s inner pot. Add the Chicken pieces and the soup.
- Cut off the bottom of Shimeji and tear into smaller pieces. Spread the Shimeji pieces over the rice and liquid evenly. Then press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes. Then add Sesame Oil, and loosen and mix gently. Sprinkle some Toasted Nori and Toasted Sesame Seeds over and serve.