My hard-to-fail ‘Basic Sponge Cake’ can be made in different flavour. You can add Matcha Powder to make Matcha Sponge Cake, OR add Cocoa Powder to make this Cocoa Sponge Cake. I altered the amount of Sugar and added a pinch Salt for this sponge.
18 to 20cm Round Cake Tin
4 Eggs *at room temperature, separated Whites and Yolks
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1/2 cup Plain Flour OR Self-Raising Flour
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
20g Butter *melted
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line base and side of a 18-20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, combine Flour and Cocoa Powder.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk Egg Whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add Sugar gradually and whisk until firm peaks form. Then add Egg Yolks and Salt, and whisk until well combined.
- Gradually sift the flour mixture over the egg mixture while folding in with a large spoon, then add melted Butter and Vanilla, mix until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and gently drop it on the bench a few times to remove bubbles in the mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cakes springs back when gently touched.
- Turn out on a wire rack. Carefully peel away baking paper, then leave to cool.
- *Note: For decoration or filling, Chocolate Ganache is recommended. Find the recipe here.
Leave a Reply