This is curry flavoured ‘Takikomigohan’ that is popular among children. However, my recipe is not for young children because it is quite spicy. I used to cook all ingredients together using rice cooker, but later I discovered the flavour is much better when Onion and Chicken are pre-cooked. You only need one frying pan to do the extra work to achieve better flavour, but you can cook everything together like I used to do.
Short OR Medium Grain Rice 2 cups *180ml cup
Onion 1 *finely chopped
Chicken Thigh Fillets 250 to 300g
Canola Oil 1 tablespoon
Salt & Pepper
Garlic 1 clove *grated
Ginger 1 small piece *grated
Hot Madras Curry Powder 1 tablespoon *OR Curry Powder of your choice
Chicken Stock 400ml
Potatoes 1 *cut into 1 to 2cm pieces
Frozen Peas 1 cup
Finely Chopped Parsley 1 tablespoon
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, cook Onion until soft, then add Chicken and cook until Chicken pieces are browned. Lightly season with Salt & Pepper. Onion must look quite brown now, and it is desired.
- Check the saltiness of the Stock you are using and season with Salt & Pepper as required. I recommend to season the Stock fairly strongly. Add Garlic, Ginger and Curry Powder and mix well.
- Wash Rice and place it in the rice cooker. Add the seasoned Stock, place the Onion & Chicken mixture and Potato pieces over the rice, but do not stir. Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- When the rice is cooked, sprinkle Frozen Peas over the rice and let them steamed for 10 minutes. Then loosen and mix gently.
- Sprinkle Finely Chopped Parsley over and serve.
Leave a Reply