When I first discovered so many people were visiting my ‘Potato Mochi’ recipe page, I had no idea about what was going on. Many of the visitors had left comments on the page and I learned the reason why they were visiting was ‘Pokemon’. Unfortunately, my ‘Potato Mochi’ recipe requires Glutinous Rice Flour, which is not a common item people regularly stock. So, I am sharing a new ‘Potato Mochi’ recipe that you can make with Corn Starch (OR Potato Starch).
4 x 5cm Potato Mochi
1 large Potato *about 250g
Salt for cooking Potato
1 pinch Salt
1 to 2 tablespoons Corn Starch OR Potato Starch *1 tablespoon is 15ml
Oil for cooking *Butter can be used
- Peel Potato, cut into smaller pieces, and place in a saucepan. Cover with Water, add 1/2 teaspoon Salt (OR more Salt if you add more Water), and cook until absolutely soft.
- Drain and mash until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Add 1 pinch Salt and 1 tablespoon Corn Starch (OR Potato Starch), and mix well. If it is still too wet OR too soft, add extra Starch. Today I added 1 & 1/2 tablespoons.
- Form the mixture into discs. Today I made 4 discs about 5cm in diameter.
- Heat a frying pan (I used 20cm pan) over low heat, lightly Oil it, and cook the Potato Mochi for 5 minutes OR until bottom side is nicely browned. Turn them over and cook the other side as well. *Note: If you have a lid, cover the pan with the lid.
- Enjoy with your favourite sauce. In the above photo, Potato Mochi are coated with the sauce made with 1/2 tablespoon Sugar and 1/2 tablespoon Soy Sauce. *Note: You may wish to try ‘Mitarashi Sauce’. Find the recipe on ‘Mitarashi Dango’ page.