This is one of my family’s favourite winter dishes. There are many different ‘Fish Pie’ recipes but this is what I cook. My daughter complains that the dish tastes ‘blunt’ and I should add some herbs or lemon zest to it. I know some recipes use lemon juice, but I like my Fish Pie’s ‘blunt’ flavour.
500g Fish Fillets *Both Red-meat Fish & White-meat Fish recommended
*Note: I usually use Salmon & Whiting
1 to 2 Onion *cut into small pieces
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 Bay Leaf
2 cups Milk
1/4 cup Frozen Peas
4 tablespoons Plain Flour
Salt & White Pepper
50g Grated Parmesan Cheese
4 Potatoes *about 800g
1/2 cup Milk *depends on the amount of Potatoes
- Start making Mashed Potatoes. Cook Potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and mash with Butter, add 1/2 cup Milk until smooth. The amount of Milk depends the amount of Potatoes.
- Meanwhile, cook the filling. Lightly season Fish Fillets with Salt & White Pepper. Place Onion, Garlic, Bay Leaf and Fish Fillets in a deep frying pan or a pot. Pour the Milk and heat over a medium to low heat, cover with lid and simmer until Fish Fillets are cooked.
- Transfer Fish Fillets to a plate. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones, and flake them into bite-sized pieces.
- Melt 50g Butter in a saucepan, stir in Flour and cook over a low heat for a few minutes. Add it to the milk mixture in the pan, and cook, string well, until thickened. Season with Salt and Pepper. Add the Fish pieces and Peas.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking dish, place the Mashed Potatoes on top and smooth with a fork tracing a pattern. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan Cheese. Bake in the oven at 220℃ for 20 minutes OR until top is golden.