This is a variation of ‘Kakiage’ Tempura, and the mixture has a resemblance to the ‘Okonomiyaki’ mixture because Cabbage is commonly used. However, you can use other vegetables such as Onion, Broccoli, Cauliflower, etc. You can shallow fry the mixture into mini pancakes if you prefer.
500g Whole Squid OR Tubes
2 to 3 Spring Onions *finely chopped
200g Vegetables *I used 50g Carrot and 150g Cabbage
*Note: Other vegetables such as Onion, Broccoli OR Cauliflower can be used.
1 teaspoon Salt *reduce the amount if you concern Salt intake
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 small piece Ginger *grated
1/2 cup Plain Flour *plus extra if required
1 teaspoon Sugar
2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Ground Chilli *optional
Oil for frying
- Chop up all vegetables into small pieces. You can coarsely grate them. If any water comes out from the vegetables, remove the excess water.
- Cut Squid into very small pieces as well. Today I cut everything into about 8mm size pieces.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Slide some bite-size clumps of the mixture into 170°C to 180°C oil and deep fry. Turn them over a few times. When nicely browned and crispy, transfer to a rack and drain the oil.
- *Note: You can shallow fry the mixture into mini pancakes if you prefer.