Many years ago, I leaned how to cook this soup from my next-door neighbour. She was an old lady who migrated to Australia with her family from Macedonia after WW II. She taught me to use Chicken Drumsticks to make the stock. But I sometimes use Instant Chicken Stock Cube. Today I cooked it in the way I learned. If the soup curdled, it’s a fail. If it turned into cloudy soup, it’s a success. My soup curdled a little bit today. Oh well…
1.5 litre Water
4 to 6 Chicken Drumsticks
1 Onion *cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Salt & Black Pepper
Juice of 1 to 2 Lemons *about 1/4 cup
1 cup Short Cut Angel Hair Pasta
2 tablespoons chopped Parsley
- Place Water, Chicken Drumsticks and Onion in a pot, add Salt, cover with a lid, and bring to the simmer. Cook for 1-2 hours. *Note: You may wish to add some vegetables such as Celery and Carrots.
- Take out the Drumsticks to a plate and allow to cool slightly. Separate flesh and bones, tear the flesh into smaller pieces and return to the pot. Discard the bones.
- Bring back to the simmer, add Angel Hair Pasta, and cook for a few minutes. Season with Salt and Black Pepper.
- Whisk Eggs in a heat-proof bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of hot soup into the Eggs, a small amount at a time, while whisking. Then slowly add the Egg mixture to the gently simmering soup, while stirring.
- Add Lemon Juice. The amount of Lemon Juice depends on your preference. I like the soup quite sour. Add finely chopped Parsley and serve.