Lemon Delicious is a classic dessert and it is similar to my ‘Lemon Magic Cake’. It has layers of fluffy sponge and gooey lemon custard. Many recipes require a lot of Sugar. 1 cup OR even more Sugar for 4 servings is scary. I feel 2 tablespoons per serving would be the maximum. I understand more Sugar is needed when we use a lot of Lemon Juice. So, I decided to use 3 tablespoons per serving, that means the amount of Sugar for 4 servings is 3/4 cup. The result? This Lemon Delicious was absolutely sweet enough. And it is super easy to make if you use a baking dish.
4 to 6 Servings
*Use 1.5L Capacity Baking Dish
3 Egg Whites
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
60g Butter *melted, plus extra to grease the baking dish
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
3 Egg Yolks
1/2 cup Self-Raising Flour
1 cup Milk *warmed
Juice of 2 Lemons *about 100ml
Zest of 1 Lemon *finely grated
Icing Sugar for dusting *optional
Cream, Mascarpone OR Vanilla Ice Cream to serve *optional
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease 1.5L capacity baking dish with Butter. *Note: The volume of the batter would be about 1L. You need a baking dish with a larger capacity.
- Using an electric mixer or a clean dry whisk, beat Egg Whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup Caster Sugar and beat until Sugar dissolves.
- In a separate mixing bowl, place melted Butter, 1/2 cup Caster Sugar and Egg Yolks, mix well with the whisk until smooth and creamy. Add warm Milk, Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest, and sift in Flour, and whisk to combine.
- Gradually fold in the whipped Egg Whites to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into prepared baking dish. Place the baking dish in a roasting pan, pour boiling water into the pan 1-2cm deep. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and just set.
- Enjoy warm or cold. Dust with Icing Sugar and serve with Cream, Mascarpone OR Vanilla Ice Cream if you like.