This is another variation of my Pound Cake. I added Zest and Juice of 1 fresh Orange. It can be baked in a round cake tin, but it always cracks. It is better to bake it in a loaf tin, so that the centre crack actually looks good. I drizzled with Orange Icing for the above Photo. For the photo below, I brushed with Orange & Grand Marnier Syrup while the cake was still hot. You can simply dust with Icing Sugar.
Standard Loaf Tin
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
3 Eggs *must be at room temperature
Zest of 1 Orange *finely grated
Juice of 1 Orange *about 80ml
1 & 1/4 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Icing Sugar *about 60g
1 tablespoon Orange Juice *1 tablespoon is 15ml
Zest of 1/2 Orange *finely grated
2 tablespoons Orange Juice
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier *OR Cointreau, Brandy, Whisky, etc.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a loaf tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Beat softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the Eggs are not warm enough, the mixture will curdle. If that happens, try to stand the bowl in warm water, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, then continue beating until the batter becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add Orange Zest and combine, then add Orange Juice and Self-Raising Flour, and mix with a spatula or large metal spoon until just combined. DO NOT over-mix. *Note: The batter should be thick. Add some extra Self-Raising Flour if too soft.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth the surface. *Note: Spread the middle part thinner and the edges thicker, so that you will have a nice centre crack.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack and cool. *Note: Cover with a sheet of foil if the top gets too dark.
- Orange Icing: Mix Orange Icing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well until smooth. If it is not soft enough, add extra a few drops Orange Juice. If it is too soft, add extra Icing Sugar. Drizzle the Icing over the completely cooled cake.
- Orange Syrup: Make Orange Syrup while the cake is being baked. Mix the ingredients in a small bowl, and warm in the microwave, so that Sugar will dissolve quicker. When the cake is baked, brush the Orange Syrup over the hot cake, and leave the cake in the tin until cool.