I regularly purchase a nicely lean block of Pork Belly, cut into smaller blocks, half freeze and thinly slice, then cut into bite-size pieces before freezing to store. These already cut thin slices are so handy to have. They can be used straight away for stir-fry or soup or anything. It didn’t take long to cook this delicious Udon Soup.
1 serving Cooked Udon *Frozen type recommended
80g thinly sliced Pork Belly *cut into bite-size pieces
1 Spring Onion
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 Egg *cooked in your favourite way, I cooked ‘Onsen Tamago’ in the microwave
Rāyu (Chilli Oil) *I used Crispy Chilli Oil
300ml Chicken Stock *OR 300ml Water & 1 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt *alter the amount depending on the saltiness of the stock
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
*Note: You may wish to add a small amount of grated Garlic OR Ginger
- Heat Cooked Udon Noodles in boiling water, then drain.
- Finely chop up a green part of Spring Onion, then diagonally slice the rest of it. Cut thinly sliced Pork Belly into bite-size pieces.
- Heat Sesame Oil in a saucepan and cook Pork. When cooked, add Soup ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Add diagonally sliced Spring Onion and Udon Noodles, cook for a few minutes. Add extra Salt if required.
- Place in a bowl, add Egg and finely chopped Spring Onion, add Chilli Oil if you like it, and enjoy. Today I added some Crispy Chilli Oil.