I tend to use Oyster Sauce (MAGGI’s Oyster Sauce is my favourite!) when I cook Pork for rice dishes. For this Mazegohan, Oyster Sauce is a key ingredient. Nori sheets need to be toasted over the flames OR something very hot. Please do it because it makes a huge difference even to ‘Yakinori’ that is already toasted Nori.
2 cups (*180ml cups) Japanese Short Grain Rice
200g Pork Belly *OR pork steak, thinly sliced
Salt & White Pepper
50 to 100g Additional Vegetables *e.g. Carrot, Shiitake, Shimeji, etc.
*Note: This time I used Canned Bamboo Shoots.
1 to 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
2 sheets Nori (Seaweed Sheets)
Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 small piece Ginger *grated
2 tablespoons Oyster Sauce
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine) OR Water
- Wash Rice then cook as normal.
- In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients. Cut Pork and all vegetables into small pieces or slices.
- Toast Nori over the flames and tear into small pieces.
- Heat Sesame Oil in a frying pan and cook Pork, add vegetables and cook, stirring. Then add the sauce and cook for a minute or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the pork and vegetable mixture to the cooked rice and mix well. Lastly add Nori and combine.
- Sprinkle some Toasted Sesame Seeds on top and enjoy.