When you cook a cake in rice cooker, top side of the cake can’t be browned. But, that is fine for upside-down cakes. Rice cooker is the quickest and easiest method to cook upside-down cakes. I often use Apples OR Pears, and I have never used Bananas before. Today I tried Bananas, and used Brown Sugar instead of white Sugar. It’s super easy and delicious.
I used 10 cup capacity rice cooker which inner pot is 20cm in diameter
80g Butter *melted
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar OR Caster Sugar
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Brown Sugar OR Caster Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon *optional
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Buttermilk OR Milk
- Line the base of rice cooker’s inner pot with baking paper. *Note: If your inner pot is in a good condition, baking paper would be unnecessary.
- Melt Butter in a small heat-proof bowl. Spread 2 tablespoons of melted Butter on the base of inner pot, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar (OR Caster Sugar).
- Slice each Banana in half and arrange the slices, cut side facing down, on the base of the inner pot.
- Combine Self-Raising Flour, Brown Sugar (OR Caster Sugar), Salt and Cinnamon (*optional) in a mixing bowl. Add Eggs, Vanilla and Buttermilk, and use a whisk to mix well. Add the remaining melted Butter, and whisk until smooth.
- Gently pour the batter over the Banana and start cooking at ‘Cake’ setting.
- When the cake is cooked, carefully take the inner pot out and set aside to cool slightly, then turn onto a plate upside down. Peel away baking paper.
- *Note: Top side of the cake cannot be browned, but the cake looks fine upside-down. It took 40 minutes for my rice cooker to cook.