‘Onigirazu’ can be translated as ‘not shaped by hands’. Compared to ‘Onigiri’ (Japanese Rice Ball) that is shaped into a ball or a triangle by hands, ‘Onigirazu’ is shaped into a flat square and wrapped with Nori. This new food has no rule at all about the filling. You can use whatever you like. This can be a perfect lunch for you and your family members, especially for children. Why don’t you try it today?
Warm Cooked Japanese Short Grain Rice
A. Teriyaki Chicken & Shiso
B. ‘Goma-ae’ Spinach & Scrambled Egg
C. Tuna Mayo & Cucumber
D. Tuna Soboro & Scrambled Egg
- Place thin layer of Cooked Short Grain Rice in the centre of a Nori sheet, shape it into a square so that it would be easy to wrap.
- Place the filling of your choice.
- Cover with another layer of Rice. Then press down the layers keeping the square shape. Use a piece of plastic warp to prevent the rice sticks to your hands
- Fold in a corner and its opposite side corner, then another corner and its opposite side corner to make a square shape. Turn it over, then the moisture will help the corners stick together.
- Pack the ‘Onigirazu’ as it is or cut in half and pack for your lunch.
A. Teriyaki Chicken & Shiso *1 serving
Season 1 Chicken Thigh Fillet with Salt. Combine 1 teaspoon Sugar, 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce and 1 teaspoon Mirin in a small bowl. Heat a small mount of Oil and cook chicken. When cooked, add the sauce and cook until the sauce is almost gone. 2 to 3 Shiso leaves will add fantastic flavour to Teriyaki Chicken.
B. ‘Goma-ae’ Spinach & Scrambled Egg *1 serving
Place a handful of Baby Spinach in a colander, pour over boiling water, then cool with cold water. Squeeze to remove excess water. Combine 1 teaspoon Ground Toasted Sesame Seeds, 1/2 teaspoon Sugar and 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce, and combine with Spinach. Scrambled Egg can be seasoned with Salt.
C. Tuna Mayo & Cucumber *1 serving
Drain a 95g Canned Tuna and remove excess liquid. Add 1 tablespoon Japanese Mayonnaise, Salt & Pepper and mix well. Cucumber slices can be seasoned with Salt, then dried as water comes out.
D. Tuna Soboro & Scrambled Egg *1 serving
Whisk 1 Egg, lightly season with Salt & Pepper, cook into scrambled Egg in a small frying pan, and transfer to a plate. Add drained 1/2 of 95g Canned Tuna to the pan, season with 1/2 teaspoon Sugar and 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce. Add some Ground Chilli OR Chilli Flakes if you like it.
*Other Filling Ideas: Grilled Salted Salmon, Ham & Cheese, Fried Fish, Stir-fried Veggies, Hamburg Steak, Chicken ‘Soboro’, Dry Curry, Chicken Nuggets, etc.