This is my daughter Sachi’s recipe. To be precise, this is the recipe that she learned from Auntie Joan for her school project many years ago. Originally the recipe required 1 cup of Caster Sugar and I reduced it to 3/4 cup. I often bake the cake with some berries, or serve the cake with fresh fruit in season. It’s a pretty sour cake and I love it!
18 or 20cm Round Cake Tin
125g Butter *softened
3/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 tablespoon Lemon Zest *finely grated
1 & 1/2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Milk
1 punnet (*about 125g) Fresh Blueberries
Powdered Sugar for dusting
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
- Line the base and side of a 18cm or 20cm round cake tin with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180C.
- Beat Butter and Sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add Eggs, 1 at a time. Add Lemon Rind, Flour and Milk, mix well until smooth. Add Blueberries and gently combine. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Make the Lemon Syrup by mixing Lemon Juice and Sugar. Warm up a bit in the microwave to help Sugar dissolve quicker. When the cake is baked, drizzle with the syrup while it is still hot.
- Cool the cake in tin. When the cake is cool, turn out onto a plate and dust with Powdered Sugar.