Probably you are familiar with a Sushi called ‘Inari-zushi’, which is Sushi Rice wrapped in seasoned Abura-age (Thin Fried Tofu). This is the Soba Noodle version of it and it is quite popular in Japan. Soba Noodles are seasoned with ‘Mentsuyu’ (Noodle Dipping Sauce). It is very easy to prepare.
2 x 90g Dry Soba Noodles
12 pieces ‘Inari-zushi no Moto’ (Seasoned Abura-age)
1 Egg *cooked into a thin omelette
1/2 to 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1/4 cup Dashi Stock *OR 1/4 cup Water & 1/8 teaspoon Dashi Powder
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
- Combine Dashi Stock, Soy Sauce and Mirin in a small saucepan, bring to the boil, and simmer for a few minutes. Then allow to cool.
- Cook a thin omelette and cut into thin noodles.
- Warm ‘Inari-zushi no Moto’ (Seasoned Abura-age) to soften, lightly squeeze, carefully open the bags.
- Cook Soba Noodles as instructed. DO NOT add salt into the water. Drain, rinse well in COLD water, and drain well again.
- Combine drained Soba Noodles, Egg, Toasted Sesame Seeds and the cooled sauce. Fill up Abura-age bags with noodle mixture. Discard the excess sauce.
- Place some finely chopped Spring Onion on top of each piece.