Sushi Rice is wrapped in seasoned Abura-age (thin Fried Tofu). You can buy already seasoned Abura-age called ‘Inari-zushi no Moto’ at many Asian grocery stores. They come in cans and plastic shrink wrapped bags. If you want to cook Abura-age by yourself, the recipe is here.
Sushi Rice (*cooked from 180ml x 3 cups uncooked Rice)
12 pieces ‘Inari-zushi no Moto’ (Seasoned Abura-age)
If you want to cook Abura-age by yourself, here is the list of ingredients
6 Abura-age (thin Fried Tofu)
1 cup Dashi
4 tablespoons Mirin
4 tablespoons Sugar
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
How to cook Abura-age
- Cut Abura-age in half and open them carefully.
- Pour very hot water over the Abura-age to remove excess oil.
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pan and cook Abura-age until the sauce thickens. Let them cool in the sauce.
- Cook Sushi Rice. Make small Sushi Rice balls.
- Lightly squeeze the seasoned Abura-age, carefully open the bags, and wrap rice balls with the bags.