Sushi Rice is all about the quality of Rice, how it is cooked, and the flavour of Sushi Vinegar. When you cook Rice for Sushi, cook with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture. Sushi Vinegar recipe varies from one region to another, and every family has a different recipe. My family’s Sushi Vinegar is always praised by my friends. Here is the recipe and you will never buy bottled ready-made sushi vinegar again.
Freshly Cooked Hot Japanese Short Grain Rice
*For 5 cups (180ml cup) Uncooked Rice
120ml Rice Vinegar
2 teaspoons Salt
*Note: This is my family’s recipe, but naturally you can alter it to suit your taste. I remember the ratio as ‘1-2-1-2’.
*For 1 cup (180ml cup) Uncooked Rice
25ml Rice Vinegar
Slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon Salt *2ml
- When you cook Rice for Sushi, cook with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture. Basically you need same volume of Rice and Water. If you are using Rice Cooker, set the water level slightly lower than the mark. Make sure you wash rice well before cooking.
- Make Sushi Vinegar by mixing the ingredients.
- When Rice is cooked, you need to allow the Rice steamed well. Pour Sushi Vinegar over the HOT rice in the pot, then empty it into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix it well gently and thoroughly, fanning the Rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Quick cooling gives a glossy texture to the rice.
- Cover with a damp cloth to stop the rice drying out.