This extra moist and extra soft Sponge Cake is almost a Soufflé. It’s not a very sweet cake. Enjoy it cold or warm, with or without whipped cream and fresh berries. Lemon Curd would be nice, too. You would definitely wish to have a cup of tea.
20cm Round Cake Tin
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Oil *I used Sunflower Oil, Butter can be used
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Plain Flour
5 Egg Yolks *room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
5 Egg Whites *room temperature
100ml Caster Sugar *slightly less 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper. The baking paper on the sides need to be at least 10cm in height.
- Place the cake tin in a roasting pan. *Note: If you use a springform cake tin, cover the bottom of the cake tin with foil so that water won’t get in.
- Place Milk and Oil in a heat-proof mixing bowl, heat in the microwave until warm. If you use Butter, heat until Butter melts. I heated in my 1000W microwave for 30 seconds. Then whisk well until creamy.
- Add Salt and Flour, and whisk well until smooth. Add Egg Yolks and Vanilla, and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, beat Egg Whites, using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Gradually add Caster Sugar, beating well, until thick and glossy and Sugar is well dissolved. Gradually fold into the mixture and gently combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Pour boiling water into the roasting pan about 1-2cm deep. Bake for 60 minutes or until cooked through.
- Take out to a wire rack to cool, or enjoy it while it is still warm.