Softer type Tofu is tricky to use for stir-fry dishes. Then you should use Fried Tofu, that is available in a thick slice OR smaller pieces. Deep-fried medium soft Tofu are crunchy outside and softer inside. Today I pan-fried the Fried Tofu and made this rice bowl. Super easy and absolutely delicious. It is vegan, but any meat lovers would enjoy this dish.
300g Fried Tofu *Today I used already cut Fried Tofu Nuggets
1-2 teaspoons Potato Starch OR Corn Starch
1/2 tablespoon Sesame Oil *OR Oil of your choice
2 servings warm Cooked Rice
1/2 to 1 sheet Toasted Nori *torn into small pieces
Spring Onion *finely chopped
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Spicy Teriyaki Sauce
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 tablespoon Sugar *1 tablespoon is 15ml
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine) OR Water
Chilli Flakes as required
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place Fried Tofu in a large colander, carefully pour boiling water over to remove unwanted oil, pat dry with paper towel. Cut into bite-size pieces if large.
- Place Tofu pieces on a plate, sprinkle Potato Starch (OR Corn Starch) and lightly coat Tofu pieces. This layer of Starch will thicken the sauce.
- Heat Sesame Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and cook Tofu pieces until lightly browned. Add the Sauce and stir for 1 minute OR until the sauce thickens.
- Half fill a bowl with warm Cooked Rice, cover with Nori pieces over, place Tofu on top, add some Spring Onion and Toasted Sesame Seeds, and enjoy.