Steaming is a brilliant way to make cakes. It makes the softest and moistest cakes. You don’t need any special equipments. I use a cake tin, but you can cook this cake in a heat-proof bowl, ramekins, mugs, baking-paper-lined bamboo basket or anything you can pour the cake mixture in.
18cm OR smaller Round Cake Tin
*Note: You can use a Bamboo Steamer if you have one.
1/4 cup Cream OR Milk
3 Eggs *room temperature
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
Juice & Zest of 1 Lemon
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
Lemon Curd *optional
- Line the base and sides of a cake tin with baking paper. If you use a Bamboo Steamer, use a large sheet of baking paper to line.
- Place Milk and Butter in a heat-proof bowl and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds or until Butter melts. *Note: You can do this process using a saucepan.
- Add Sugar and Lemon Juice & Zest, and mix well with a whisk. Beat in Eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Add Self-Raising Flour and mix well.
- Heat the steamer with enough water to steam for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin. Carefully place the tin into the steamer, cover with lid and cook for 30 minutes OR until cooked through. *Note: I recommend to wrap the lid with tea towel or large cloth, so that water won’t drip onto the cake.
- Serve with Lemon Curd.