Very thinly sliced meat or fish is called ‘Sukimi.’ Sukimi Beef cooked with Vegetables and Mushrooms in a sweet soy flavoured sauce used to be called ‘Gyuu Nabe’, but it came to be known as ‘Sukiyaki.’ It’s one of the most famous Japanese dishes.
Raw Eggs are often used as a dipping sauce. Because the food is very hot, the Egg will be slightly cooked on it and add a wonderful taste and flavour.
500 to 600g Beef *thinly sliced
2 Thick Spring Onion
1 bag ‘Shirataki’ *OR Udon or Harusame Noodles
200g Other Mushrooms *e.g. Shimeji, King Oyster, Enoki, etc.
1/2 to 1 Tofu
200g Green Vegetables *e.g. Shungiku, Mizuna, Spinach, etc.
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Mirin
1/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Dashi Stock
- Make Sukiyaki Sauce by combining Dashi, Sugar, Mirin and Soy Sauce.
- Heat Oil in a pan or pot then add some of the Beef Slices. When the beef starts to change colour, pour in some Sukiyaki Sauce and add some of each vegetable. Do not stir. Let everything cook in the sauce.
- When things are cooked, you take whatever you like from the pan, dip it in a lightly beaten raw egg and enjoy it. Because the food is very hot, the egg will be slightly cooked on it and add a wonderful taste and flavour, and it will also make this dish more nutritious. Sukiyaki can be enjoyed without egg.
- As things are eaten, add more meat, vegetables and sauce as required. This way everyone can eat until they are satisfied.
- *Tips: At the end of the meal, you find delicious sauce remaining in the pan. Don’t waste it! Add cooked Udon and enjoy it.
Leave a Reply