Japanese Sweet Potato is one of the vegetables I miss. I used to make cakes and desserts using it. The most common Sweet Potato in Australia is the orange colour one, and it can be a substitute for this ‘Sweet Potato Cupcakes’.
1 medium Sweet Potato *about 400g
125g Butter *cut into small cubes, softened
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1 & 3/4 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Milk
- Peel Sweet Potato, cut into chunky pieces, and steam until soft. You can cook them in microwave. Once cooked, drain, and mash into smooth paste.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 12-hole medium-size muffin tin with paper cases.
- Beat softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Salt and Sugars, and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add mashed Sweet Potato, Vanilla, Cinnamon and Ginger, and mix well.
- Then add Flour and Milk, and gently combine.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Leave in tins for 5 minutes before moving onto wire rack to cool.