Japanese Sweet Potato is one of the vegetables I miss. I used to make cakes and desserts using it. For this ‘Sweet Potato Cupcakes’, it can be substituted with the orange colour Sweet Potato, that is the most common Sweet Potato in Australia.
1 medium Sweet Potato *about 400g
125g Butter *cut into small cubes, softened
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1 & 3/4 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup Milk
- Peel Sweet Potato, cut into chunky pieces, and steam until soft. You can cook them in microwave. Once cooked, drain, and mash into smooth paste.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 12-hole medium-size muffin tin with paper cases.
- Beat softened Butter in a mixing bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add Salt and Sugars, and beat until creamy.
- Add Eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add mashed Sweet Potato, Vanilla, Cinnamon and Ginger, and mix well.
- Then add Flour and Milk, and gently combine.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Leave in tins for 5 minutes before moving onto wire rack to cool.