When I make a ‘Bento’ lunch for my family members, I often cook Teriyaki Chicken and I place it on the packed Rice. I often add Ginger to Teriyaki Sauce. This dish is actually exactly the same thing. I just cut Chicken into smaller pieces and I mixed the Teriyaki Chicken with freshly cooked Rice. It is absolutely delicious.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
1 teaspoon Oil *Today I used Sesame Oil
300-400g Chicken Thigh Fillets *cut into 2-3cm pieces
1 small piece Ginger *OR 1 clove Garlic, grated
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
1 teaspoon Sugar
Toasted Nori, Spring Onion OR Toasted Sesame Seeds for topping
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) OR Ground Chilli *optional
- Wash Rice and cook as normal.
- In a small bowl, combine grated Ginger (OR Garlic), Soy Sauce, Mirin and Sugar.
- When Rice is cooked, heat Oil in a frying pan over medium high heat, cook Chicken pieces and lightly season with Salt. Add the sauce and cook for a few minute or until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the Chicken and the sauce over the cooked rice and mix to combine evenly.
- Sprinkle with some Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) and your favourite topping. Today I added Toasted Nori.