They look like fried chicken, but they are Tofu. This is a yummy ‘donburi’ dish for vegetarians. If you omit the egg on top, this can be a yummy vegan dish as well. I used ALDI’s Organic Tofu, but any firm type tofu can be used. Coating the tofu pieces with potato starch flour is essential. The layer of starch flour will turn to jelly-like when combined with the sauce. Even the meat-lovers would enjoy this dish.
Firm Tofu 500 to 600g
Potato Starch Flour 3 to 4 tablespoons
Oil 2 tablespoons
Spring Onion 1 to 2 *finely chopped
Toasted Sesame Seeds *optional
‘Onsen Tamago’ Eggs 4 *optional
Garlic 1 clove *grated
Ginger 1 small piece *grated
Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon
Sake 1 tablespoon
Sesame Oil 1 tablespoon
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Soy Sauce 2 tablespoons
Mirin 2 tablespoons
Sake OR Water 2 tablespoons
- Make the marinade by mixing all the marinade ingredients.
- Cut or break Tofu to small pieces. Combine the Tofu pieces with the marinade. The Tofu pieces will soak up the marinade. Let them marinated for 10 minutes.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Coat the Tofu pieces with Potato Starch Flour. Heat Oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, and cook Tofu pieces until browned. It won’t take long to brown.
- Add the sauce and combine all well.
- Half fill a bowl with freshly cooked rice, place an ‘Onsen Tamago’ and cover with the Tofu mixture. Sprinkle some finely chopped Spring Onion and Toasted Sesame Seeds on top.