It was my daughter who introduced Hot & Sour Sour to me. I fell in love with it instantly. Today I tried to make my favourite Wombok & Pork Soup into a Hot & Sour Soup. I knew it would be delicious and it certainly was. I added 1 teaspoon Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) and the soup was quite mild. You would wish to add more if you like spicy food.
1 to 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
80g thinly sliced Pork *cut into small pieces
3-4 thin slices Ginger *cut into fine strips
Salt & White Pepper
2 cups Chicken Stock *OR 2 cups Water and 2 teaspoons Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine) *optional
150g Wombok *cut 1cm in width
4 to 5 Dried Black Fungus *soaked in water and sliced
1 tablespoon Potato Starch *mixed with 1 tablespoon Water
1 Egg *lightly whisked
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1 teaspoon Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) *OR Chilli as required
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
*Note: Alter the amount to suit your taste. 1 teaspoon Toban Djan is quite mild.
- Soak Dried Black Fungus in cold/warm water until softened. Wash very well, drain and slice. Prepare all other ingredients.
- Heat Sesame Oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, cook Pork and Ginger, and lightly season with Salt & White Pepper.
- Add Chicken Stock, Sake, Wombok and Black Fungus, and bring to the boil. Cook until Wombok is soft. It won’t take long. Season with Toban Djan (OR Chilli), Soy Sauce and Vinegar.
- Add Potato Starch mixture and stir. When the soup is slightly thickened, add lightly whisked Egg slowly in a circular motion into the boiling soup, and gently stir. When the Egg is cooked, remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion and enjoy.
Leave a Reply