Nearly 30 years ago, when I visited Alabama in the US, I fell in love with a dish called ‘Chicken & Dumplings’. I have been cooking it since then, and my ‘Chicken & Dumplings’ has developed into this Japanese take. I use Glutenous Rice Flour (or ‘Shiratamako’) as well as Wheat Flour to make dumplings, that taste like Mochi, and this dish is really comforting.
1 tablespoon Oil *I used Canola Oil
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
400g Chicken Thigh Fillets *thinly sliced
4 cups (1000ml) Chicken Stock
Salt & Pepper
Spring Onion OR Parsley *finely chopped
1 & 1/3 cups Plain Flour
1 cup ‘Shiratamako’ OR Glutenous Rice Flour *OR Plain Flour
*Note: Self-Raising Flour can be used.
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Water
- Make Dumplings first. Mix Flours, Salt and Water, and knead, gradually adding extra Flour if required, until smooth.
- Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of the dough to 2-3mm thick and cut into about 3cm pieces. *Note: Alternatively you can roll the dough into small balls and flatten each ball with your hand.
- Heat Oil and Garlic in a pot over medium heat. When it is aromatic, add Chicken and stir. When Chicken is cooked, add Chicken Stock, and season with Salt & Pepper.
- To the simmering soup, gradually add the dumplings, and simmer, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until dumplings are soft.
- *Note: You might think that the amount of dumplings is too much. It is NOT too much.
*Note: If you use Self-Raising Flour, the dumplings swell, but keep cooking, frequently stirring.
- Sprinkle with some chopped Spring Onion OR Parsley, and serve.