This is a super simple Sponge Cake made with Almond Meal. It is gluten-free as no Wheat Flour is used, and also dairy-free. No technique is necessary, but you need to beat Eggs very well until thick and pale to make the cake fluffy. The Almond topping is optional. DO NOT add it if you are going to decorate the cake with frosting.
18 to 20cm Springform Round Cake Tin
4 large Eggs *at room temperature
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 & 1/2 cups Almond Meal *about 150g
1/4 to 1/2 cup Flaked Almonds OR Slivered Almonds *optional
Icing Sugar for dusting *optional
- Preheat oven to 170℃. Line the base and sides of a 18-20cm round cake tin with baking paper. *Note: If you add Almond Flakes OR Slivers on top, a springform tin would be better.
- Place Eggs, Sugar and Salt in a mixing bowl, and use an electric mixer to beat for 5-6 minutes OR until thick and pale.
- Add Vanilla Extract and Almond Meal, and use a spatula or large spoon to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, scatter Almond Flakes OR Slivers on top (*optional), and bake for 30 minutes OR until cooked though. *Note: If the top gets too dark, cover with a sheet of foil. Almond Flakes get browned quickly.
- Transfer to a wire rack, carefully peel away baking paper, then leave to cool. Dust with Icing Sugar before serve, OR decorate it with your favourite frosting.