I you have some leftover vanilla custard, try this pudding cake. Of course you can make vanilla custard from scratch to make this cake. It is a very comforting cake that is very soft and moist. You may wish to add some dry sultanas or blackcurrants. Enjoy it warm or cool with a hot cup of tea.
18cm (or 20cm) Springform Cake Tin
125g Butter *softened
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 cup Self-raising Flour
2 tablespoons Milk
1 cup Vanilla Custard
2 Granny Smith Apples *OR Apples of your choice
- Pre-heat oven to 170℃. Line the base and sides of a cake tin with baking paper.
- Peel Apples, remove the core and cut into 1-2cm cubes. Cook in a saucepan or microwave until slightly softened. *Note: This process can be skipped.
- Beat Butter and Sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add Eggs, 1 at a time. Add Milk and Flour and mix well to combine. Spoon 1/2 of batter into the prepared cake tin and spread evenly.
- Arrange 1/2 of the Apple pieces over the batter, then drizzle 1/2 of Vanilla Custard over. Spread the remaining batter as evenly as you can because it is tricky, arrange Apple pieces again, and finally cover with the remaining Vanilla Custard.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then take it out. You may enjoy the cake warm or cold.