I am feeling lucky to have good access to a larger variety of Asian mushrooms in Melbourne these days. Today I cooked another Mazegohan, a dish of cooked rice mixed with separately cooked & seasoned other ingredients, with plenty of mushrooms. If you like my ‘Asian Mushroom Takikomigohan’, you will certainly enjoy this ‘Asian Mushroom Mazegohan’.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Short Grain Rice
2 Eggs *lightly whisked with 1 pinch Salt
Oil for cooking
300g Asian Mushrooms
*Shiitake, Shimeji, Oyster Mushrooms, King Brown, Maitake, Black Fungus Mushrooms, etc.
1 to 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil OR Oil of your choice
1 pinch Salt
1 tablespoon Sake *optional
1 to 2 Spring Onions *finely chopped, save some for topping
Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 small piece Ginger *grated
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoons Mirin
1/4 teaspoon Dashi Powder *optional
- Wash Rice then cook as normal.
- Whisk Eggs and season with 1 pinch Salt. Heat a small amount of Oil in a frying pan over low heat, cook the egg, stirring constantly, until crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Cut or tear mushrooms into smaller pieces. Heat Sesame Oil in a frying pan, cook mushrooms. Add 1-2 tablespoons Sake and that will help steam-cook the mushrooms and add extra Umami.
- When the mushrooms are cooked, add the sauce and cook for 1 minute to combine. Add the mixture to the cooked rice and mix. Add the egg and chopped Spring Onion as well. Mix well to combine.
- Place some chopped Spring Onion and Toasted Sesame Seeds on top and enjoy.