My ‘Asparagus Butter Takikomigohan’ is delicious, but Asparagus turns quite soft as it is cooked with Rice. Then I created this Mazegohan version. Asparagus is mixed with cooked Rice, so it retains crunchiness. It is Butter & Soy Sauce flavoured. I am very happy with the result.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
400ml Chicken Stock *OR Stock of your choice
1/4 teaspoon Salt *add more or less, only if the stock is not salted
Salt & Pepper
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
200g Asparagus *trimmed, cut into 1cm pieces
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
Freshly Ground Black Pepper *IMPORTANT
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water with your hand and drain the water. Repeat this a few times until water flows through clear. *Note: I do this always, but it is up to you.
- Drain the rice and place into the cooker’s inner pot. Add Chicken Stock (OR stock of your choice), lightly season with Salt if required, and press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking.
- When Rice is cooked, whisk Eggs and season with Salt and Pepper, heat 5g Butter in a frying pan over medium low heat, cook Egg into small pieces, and add to the cooked Rice.
- Add 20g Butter to the frying pan, and cook Garlic and Asparagus. When cooked, remove from the heat. Add Soy Sauce and combine, then add to the cooked Rice.
- Finally add Freshly Ground Black Pepper and mix well.