There is an old Japanese sweet called ‘Matsukaze’ (Wind in the Pines) that has hundreds of years history. And there is a Chicken Mince dish that looks like the sweet ‘Matsukaze’. This Chicken Mince dish is often prepared for the New Year celebration. I don’t have a large square pan, I bake it in the oven.
4 to 6 Servings
500g Chicken Mince *Chicken Thigh preferred but Breast is fine
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
2 Shiitake *finely chopped
*Note: You can add finely chopped other Vegetables
1 small piece Ginger *grated
1 tablespoon Miso *Red Miso OR dark colour type
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoons Mirin
1 teaspoon Sugar
1/4 cup ‘Panko’ Breadcrumbs
Toasted Sesame Seeds for topping
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with a sheet of foil and lightly oil it. *Note: If you have a 18cm square cake tin, you can use it. Oil the base and the sides.
- Combine Chicken Mince, Vegetables and seasonings very well. Add Egg and mix well, then add ‘Panko’ Breadcrumbs and mix well.
- On the prepared tray, form the mixture into a 2-3cm thick square or rectangle.
- Fold up the edges of the foil and form a box. Smooth the surface.
- *Note: If you use a tin, this process is easy. Just spread the mixture in the tin and smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle with Sesame Seeds quite generously.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked though.
- Cool completely. Cut into bite-size pieces and serve. It’s a good idea to serve them on bamboo sticks.