If you like ‘Mabo Tofu’, you would like this dish. My quick-braise method doesn’t stir-fry Tofu so you can use soft and delicate type of Tofu for this dish. I use whatever mushrooms that I have in hand. Shimeji, Shiitake, Enoki, Oyster Mushrooms are all very nice for this recipe. Serve with freshly cooked rice.
Tofu 400 to 500g *medium to soft type recommended
Chicken Mince 250 to 300g
Shimeji OR other Asian mushrooms 100 to 200g
Oil 1 tablespoon
Ginger 1 small piece *finely chopped or grated
Spring Onion 2 *finely chopped
Chicken Stock 1 cup (or Water 1 cup & Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder 1 teaspoon)
Sake 2 tablespoons
Sugar 2 teaspoons
Oyster Sauce 2 teaspoons
Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon
Potato Starch 1 tablespoon
- Finely chop up Ginger (you may wish to grate Ginger) and Spring Onion. Tear Shimeji into smaller pieces and cut Tofu into bite-size cubes.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. This has to be done before you start cooking. Cooking process doesn’t take long at all.
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan or a wok, cook Chicken Mince, Shimeji and Ginger breaking up the mince.
- Before you add the sauce mixture into the pan, mix it well again. Then pour in the sauce mixture and bring it to boil and let it thicken.
- Add Tofu and Spring Onion gently mix and combine.